Underreported: Noodles are killing Chinese people
Saturday 15 May 2059 51387 Shares
An entire family of 9 dies after eating noodles for breakfast. The noodles were properly stored in the freezer for a couple months. The family living in the northeast province of Heilongjiang ate the homemade corn noodles for breakfast. After just a couple hours the family members reported to be ill. The first 8 members of the family were confirmed dead within 6 days and the last died just days later.
Bongkrekic acid is a respiratory toxin that is detected in noodles. The toxicity of the noodles increases if put in a freezer then thawed. The corn noodles have been reported to contain certain deadly toxins. Enough toxins were released from the noodles to hospitalize and eventually kill the whole family.
Gao Fei, director of food safety at the Heilongjiang Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, tells all Chinese people to stop eating corn noodles as the toxicity is too high.
According to Gao Fei, the fatality rate of the Bongkrekic acid can be up to 100 and there is no known antidote. It is harmful to the whole body including the liver, kidneys, heart, and brain.
The National Health Commission has warned people to avoid eating the toxic corn noodles as they are killing Chinese people.